Dr. Edwin A. Ulrich (1897-1995)
Dr. Edwin A. Ulrich was born in Brooklyn, NY and raised in Montclair, NJ. He was a very accomplished singer and pianist, as well as a business man in New York. In 1937, he moved to Poughkeepsie, NY and formed the Dutchess Oil Corporation, but continued to be active in the arts. He began to collect paintings from the acclaimed Waugh family and upon retiring in 1955, he built a residence and museum in Hyde Park, NY called “Wave Crest On the Hudson”. In 1969, The Waugh collection went on a national tour with the Smithsonian Institute. In 1974, Dr. Ulrich donated the Waugh collection to the Wichita State University in Kansas and it is permanently housed in The Edwin A. Ulrich Museum on its campus. In 1994, Dr. Ulrich created the Dr. Edwin A. Ulrich Charitable Trust Fund which is currently providing college scholarships for Hudson Valley students.