Art Student Support Endowment
Established to memorialize the contributions to the art program at SUNY New Paltz of former student Cary Coffing, Professor Herbert L. Kammerer, and Professor Alex Minewski. This endowment will support talented SUNY New Paltz art students. To be eligible, candidates must be continuing matriculated undergraduate students majoring in the Fine Arts. They must have achieved a class level of sophomore or higher, be in good standing and submit a letter of recommendation from a faculty member in the Art Department. Preference will be given to FT students but part time studies may be considered with a credit load over 6 per semester of awarding.
• Cary Coffing was a talented emerging artist who loved SUNY New Paltz. He enjoyed participating in many activities, and is remembered by friends for his sense of humor and school spirit. During the 1965 Homecoming weekend soccer game he wore the College’s hawk mascot costume. He enjoyed learning and playing guitar, and even trying to sing some of the “new” Beatles’ songs with friends. Riding his motorcycle in the scenic New Paltz countryside was a passion of his, as was planning for the future following his engagement during the previous quarter. Cary was a Resident’s Assistant (RA) in Bouton Hall attending the summer quarter in 1966. He died in a tragic accident on August 11 as he returned from Accord, New York on his motorcycle. Family, classmates, and friends established a scholarship fund in his memory to support SUNY New Paltz art students.
• Alex Minewski was a professor of painting at SUNY New Paltz and dedicated his life to abstract expressionism. Upon his passing in 1979, the SUNY New Paltz community of faculty and friends established a scholarship in his memory.
• Herbert Lewis Kammerer, professor of sculpture at SUNY New Paltz, was known as a world-class sculptor. Family and friends established a scholarship fund to help provide support for art students who demonstrated excellence as sculptors.
- Art Scholarships, Fine and Performing Arts Scholarships
- Supplemental Questions
- What is your major in the Fine Arts?
- Please write a brief reflection on why you chose your major and where you hope it will lead you in life.
- Applicants can request a letter of recommendation from a faculty member by submitting the email address of the person you wish a recommendation from. You should notify these individuals to expect an email. You are responsible for ensuring the recommendations are submitted by the application deadline. Please use their newpaltz.edu email address if they are a faculty member.